Thursday, May 29, 2008

Afternoon in Nimes





With Jean-Paul leading the way, we explored Nimes yesterday afternoon.
It is about half an hour by TER train from Montpellier.

Fortunately the rain had stopped. The Arena was magnificent. It is massive and is still used for bullfighting. The blocks of stone that the Romans used in the original parts are unbelievably huge. The smaller blocks of stone are from the middle ages!

I didn't make it to the very top, as the steps were very high, but I did almost manage it and we were treated to a fight between a couple of gladiators performing for a school group. There weren't many tourists around so it was quite atmospheric.
I am going to send a post card of the arena to Mr Strick, my surgeon to show him what I am managing to achieve. This time last year I was on crutches and waiting to go into hopsital. The anniversary of my operation is June 15. it may be an occason for a celebration!

We scurried along behind Jean Paul to see the rest of the town, but à la Maison Carrée it was "au revoir JP" and I returned to some of the fascinating shops we had rushed past. I am finding it very hard to keep control of my credit card! I do write everything down, but it still has to be paid. I succumbed to some very expensive Provençal fabric which is divine. I am looking forward to making it up!

I also managed to buy two train tickets, one to Avignon on Saturday, then another to Paris on Wednesday next week.
I have two nights in Avignon with a French family then two nights in Jonquerettes outside Avignon, hopefully seeing a bit more Provencal countryside, before heading north.

No comments: