Sunday, May 25, 2008

Sur Le Pont D'Avignon



After a fairly exhausting week I elected to have a "do nothing" day and as it is raining, the first day since I arrived, I made the right decision. The Musée Fabré can wait till another afternoon.

We have just had an amazing Mother's Day lunch (the French have their own date) with Michelle's son Olivier. After lunch Michel showed Olivier the DVD of Coromandel and then I showed them Jennie's photos and they were very impressed.

We started lunch with little sweet and sour pigeon pies, followed by Coquilles St Jaques (or scallops) in leek and cream sauce. Then (I think) we had cheese, about five or six different kinds each mealtime. To finish, glacé with nuts on top and strawberry sauce, which was divine, and then cafe (au lait) pour moi.
All accompanied by three different bottles of medal winning French wines, one white and two red. Just as well we didn't finish all the contents. Now I am going to have to retire for a siesta! Not surprisingly!
I have actually started thinking in French. When I have a dream in French I will know I have "arrived".

I am all for an activity based holiday. It makes such a difference. I found yesterday in Avignon I had seen enough churches and the popes palace, although impressive by its size and history didn't do a lot for me.
I did like the bridge on the Rhone though, and of course Jean-Paul whipped out his flute and had the students dancing a traditional dance, "Sur le Pont d'Avignon." All the other tourists were delighted!

No comments: