Friday, May 23, 2008

Accent Francais




It is the end of my first week at Accent Francais and it is time I wrote something about it.
It has been a very enjoyable experience so far, but exhausting.

Mornings from 9:30 till 12:00 we have class with Valerie, who is a brilliant professeur of Francais. To my surprise there are only three of us in the senior class, but it means one can't go to sleep or get out of having a turn at speaking.

Richard works for Boeing and comes from Derby. He and I usually have a sandwich to gether at lunchtime, in the park or on the steps of the Comedie Francais. Kenichi is from Osaka in Japan. He has a wife at home, working. I think he is retired.
We all speak in French most of the time.
We have a lot of laughs in the class, even if we are so few. I feel very lucky to have such an opportunity and to have such a good teacher is a bonus. Mostly, we speak (or listen) and there is only a minimum of writing. The little bit of homework is "optional". The school is expremely well organised and everyone is very friendly and helpful.

Most afternoons we have an excursion with Jean-Paul. This is a real experience!!
He is from Sete and has an "occidental temperament!" He is totally bald and often brings his bike along. We usually have students from the other classes with us, mostly younger than us. Jean-Paul loves walking (fast) and is what one might call, a dynamo.
After the first afternoon, when we toured the town I protested and he has attempted to treat me gently since then. We come to an arangement; I stay in one place for a rest, while he route marches everyone else to the top of any available hill and marches down again, playing his flute, to call me to attention!

Yesterday we visited a chocolaterie at the end of the tram line. It was a wonderful afternoon in the tiny kitchen, being instructed by the chocolatiere and fed the most delicious chocolates and a cup of hot chocolate. Unfortunately I had not taken my camera!

Tomorrow we all go to Avignon for a big day out and I have already reached a mutually satisfactory agreement with JP about how the day will be organised. He is delightful actually and his "joie de vivre" is catching.
After the visit to the choc shop the strike, (which happens each Thursday, or so it seems) had caused the trams to be suspended. It looked like we would have to wait for over an hour for one to arrive. This didn't phase JP in the least. He whipped out his flute and had the students dancing a traditional dance on the tramstop. This caused the passing motorists much amusement. Fortunately we only had to wait 30 minutes.

My host family is the best part. Although I am a little out of the centre, the home is in a lovely suburban area and Michelle (who works full time as a scientist) and Michel (who is retired), are very kind and generous hosts. Michelle is the most amazing cook and every evening we have at least four courses, all delicious home cooking of the region. As you can imagine I am very appreciative. She made me an appointment with her hairdresser and I now have a very French haircut.

Now it is Friday afternoon and we are free to explore. I have found a lovely pair of French shoes which I am coveting. I may have to succumb to temptation. I am very impressed by Montpellier, it really is delightful but temptations abound!

No comments: