Monday, May 12, 2008

Buon Compleanno Rosella





Rosella's birthday was a dessert treat. People didn't arrive till 9pm by which time I am usually past it. Somehow I managed to stay awake and reasonably alert! Some of the guests spoke a little English, so together with my "poco Italiano" I managed to have some conversation. I find I can understand quite a lot as long as they speak slowly. If anyone gets excited then I am lost!I think that the two years I studied Latin in high school is proving very useful to me now. It is such a shame that kids today miss out on that enriching experience, which is helpful in English too. At the time I didn't appreciate this of course.
Rosella's brother's girlfriend is a journalist on one of the big papers here and she speaks English well, having lived in New York for eight years.
I enjoyed speaking to her about her work in the economy section of the paper. She also had no journalist training and started writing about art when she lived in NY. As she has an economics degree she started writing about that to get work when she returned to Itlaia.
Rosella got lots of lovely presents from her friends, including many books, and pot plants for the terrace. She will have quite a jungle now!

No comments: